November 5, 2008

OuR StoRy---in the beginning part ii

Little did my mind think of how saying no to Steven and yes to Spence would make Steven feel.  But I must have realized that I didn't even know what going out entailed, because I called Steven the next day and told him to tell Spence that my mom said I couldn't go out with him either.  Again, not true, but seemed like a good excuse.  No wonder men can't seem to figure out women...it starts at an early age! :)

I didn't encounter Spence again for a few years.  He was home-schooled at the time and didn't come back to public school until our eighth-grade year.  As we entered high school, I had a Spanish class with him.  I remember him teasing Senora Udall and getting in trouble for goofing off.  He wasn't paying attention one day when she called on him to translate.  It was something about "me llamo" and "rubio" and Spence make up some silly sentence about a dirty llama and a rude Spaniard that had the whole class rolling. 

Another memory I have of Spence is when he was a junior and tried to run for student body president.  The administration wouldn't let him because he had been suspended for fighting during the year.  His best friend Troy was up on stage and suddenly turned the time over to Spence who had been hiding in back of the stage.  Spence walked out and said into the microphone, "The administration can go to hell!" and jumped off the stage. Whoa!  If I had known him and his family better back then, I would have recognized him as his father's son. :) I noticed that he went and sat by his girlfriend and held her hand...I admit that I felt a twinge of jealousy even though I had my own boyfriend at the time. (By the way, I'm sure he would have won the election and probably still got more write-in votes than anyone)

I don't know if Spence has any memories of me.  I wasn't quite as outgoing as he was.  I remember when he started liking me.  He would come up to me at school and say the most obscure things to me. It seemed like to me he was always talking in riddles.  He was really good with words and I could never read him very well.  It made me uncomfortable because I thought he was trying to tease me. He probably just had a much better vocabulary than me. (all that home-schooling:)

He started ditching weight training second hour to hang out with me in Sylvia's room. (I was her aide) I started giving him rides home from school since he was always in trouble and couldn't drive their car. I still wasn't sure about him with all of his crazy talk and cockiness.  Then one day he invited me to his house to hear him play his guitar. (smooth move Spence...I wonder how many other girls he used that one on?) But it wasn't the guitar that got me.  It was how nice and laid back he was at home.  It was also the nice way he treated and interacted with his mom.  Looking back, that was a really good indicator.  Spence is always very respectful of women and family is very important to him. 

Needless to say, between the guy he was at home and his tight, white Guess jeans, I was hooked.  They really weren't tight, I just added that in. :)

To be continued...

I had to scan some old pictures from high school. Pretty funny!                                             

     11-05-2008-10-23-58-408_edited-1        11-05-2008-10-23-58-408_edited-2

Something happened when I scanned Spence's picture and his left eye now looks like  he's wearing blue eye shadow...oops.

11-05-2008-10-20-11-601_edited-1         11-05-2008-10-21-56-199_edited-1

above left: top row- melissa west, jaime mineer and doug chlarson bottom row- troy adair, spence, and me (notice that Spence is wearing those white Guess jeans paired with Redwing boots.  I on the other hand am sporting purple leggings with socks and sandals...gotta love the 90's!)

above right:  top row- jon romero and pami christian; next row- craig kennedy and tana udall; next- spence and courtney grant; bottom row- carrol lambson and me

     11-05-2008-10-23-58-408_edited-411-05-2008-10-35-14-738_edited-1

 

16 comments:

Michelle Ashton said...

So funny! Love the pictures. So glad to know that I was not the only one who wore leggings like that too. I also did the socks and sandals.

Amy said...

Sweet story! Can I add you on my blog!?!?!?

Steph said...

Oh, I remember those days all too well--in Sra. Udall's class and beyond. Spence loved to torture people--he's sadistic, I swear. Two of the craziest things about that infamous election: While they were counting ballots, every paper that had Spence's name as a write-in, despite if someone else's name was marked, they threw in the trash (skewing the valid vote and all the other officer position votes). Then, about five years later (and I won't mention any names here, to protect the not-so-innocent), some friends of my parents were cleaning up some of the catwalk areas of the auditorium and found dozens and dozens of ballots from that election, stashed away--most of them had been marked with Colby's name, some with mine, and some with Carrol's--and many of those also had Spence's name written in. The students knew their vote wouldn't count if they wrote him in (since the admin had made an announcement), but they wanted to make a statement that they thought what had happened with Spence was bogus--by writing his name in and marking one of the other candidate's names. Those who found the stashed ballots have their suspicions who hid them there--according to what they found, someone else may have been the winner ... but we'll never know! Call me and I'll give you the details! ;)

Unknown said...

hi kellie! {it's becky hamblin, sherwood & lori's daughter} i love your blog! these stories are so funny! i especially love the one of spencer "running" for student council! ha ha! the outfits are also amazing! (:

Honey Girl said...

AMY, of course you can! What's your blog? I go to your profile and it doesn't list your blog...is it private?

Honey Girl said...

Steph, so who won....I can't even remember?

Chlarson Family said...

Hey Kel...looks like talking about the old days the other night really brought back a lot of memories. I love the pictures! Our hair back then was awesome, I can't see why it went out of style?! :) I had fun too. Wish I shared some of the memories sometimes but they are fun to listen to anyway. Look forward to another night on the town...

Steph said...

Craig won ... but I assume Spence told you the "rest of the story" after we talked last night. So crazy--but those were the days!

Honey Girl said...

Since you have such a good memory Steph, do you remember Carrol defacing one of Craig's posters and the whole blow-up about that?? I think Brian Bell was involved. Tell me what you know!

Rachel said...

I love hearing this whole story....such fun! I also love that you posted old pictures they are the best! I can't wait to hear more of the story!
btw....the purple leggings are the bomb!

Jaime said...

LOVE this post and love the comments about the election. Hilarious! Wonder if real life is anything like that. I swear they hid some of McCains votes! Anyhow, here's my email hulseys (at) msn (dot) com

Jaime said...

Oh and so I don't feel left out on your contacts it's (Szoke) and now Hulsey. lol I don't even think we were in highschool at the same time! lol

Hamblins said...

Great post!!! I love the pictures.

Annie said...

If I remember right I think Metalica was playing in the background while Troy was giving his speech and then Spence came on! Oh that was so funny!

Love the leggings!

tricia said...

You're brave to post high school pictures:) I try to forget I was ever in high school:) Love the reminder about the election. I remember in seminary right after the assembly, Brad Jarvis was talking smack and I let him have it:) I also remember making posters with Spence. They had some hilarious ones. We were just going through junk at our house to use in the posters and we found this old boy scout magazine. We cut out a picture of a 50's boy scout with his hand raised in the scout pledge thing, stuck it on the poster and then wrote, "Vote for Spence/Troy. We promise to do our duty." I also remember one that read something like, "Craig Kennedy. Ted Kennedy. Can you see the connection?" Good times.

Kristen said...

By the way, that was me (Kris) who posted the above comment. Don't know why it posted under my mom's name--but I can't really see her getting after Brad Jarvis or making election posters, for that matter:)